Wednesday, August 24, 2011

1st and 3rd Grade class sizes

I have heard from a number of parents with concerns about the size of our 1st and 3rd grade class sizes.  I have been in contact with the Unit Office and we have discussed the concerns.  I am posting a message here from Nate Cunningham, our Assistant Superintendent regarding the concerns:

Thank you for expressing your concern about staffing at Prairieland Elementary School.  The board and administration share your concerns.  The board has established ranges for classrooms by grades in the elementary schools to ensure our schools can complete the mission of educating each student to personal excellence.  The following are the ranges of students per class as established by the board of education: kindergarten (20-25), 1st grade (20-25), 2nd grade (22-27), 3rd grade (22-27), 4th grade (24-29), and 5th grade (24-29).

One of my many duties is to report the number of elementary classrooms that are under, within, and above the range, to the board of education. As a part of the process of reporting, I visit each school and talk to the principals and teachers of classrooms that are over the range.  The options that we normally use are guided by the percentage of students that are under the range (combine classes-reduce sections) and sections that are over the range (split classes or add a paraprofessional/teaching assistant).

Please know, we value your concern and just as you, we do not take these actions lightly.  We will investigate and review stability of the classroom before acting.  Keep in mind, as school enrollment is very volatile; we do not act on our numbers until we have some stability and understanding of the classrooms. We do however; understand the importance of class size and will review and revise the appointment of employing a teacher or paraprofessional, when and if needed.

I can assure you that I have been in communication with your principal and that we will investigate your concerns. Though I have noted your concerns, I cannot promise you that we will split a section or add a paraprofessional.  I can promise that we will consider all options; and will always work to achieve what is best for every student in Unit 5 schools.

If you would like to discuss our school staffing process further, please feel free to contact me.  Thank you for your continued interest and education of all McLean County Unit 5 students!

Sincerely,

Nathaniel Cunningham, Jr.
Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources McLean County Unit District No. 5

1 comment:

  1. I could see adding a teaching assistant, but I hope they won't split any of the first grade classes. My daughter is in first, and I know she would be devastated if she had to switch teachers after getting off to such a great start.

    ReplyDelete